May 14, 2012 by RaesOfSunshine
As promised yesterday, I’m expanding on having a Beautiful Mother’s Day at the Park.
As much as I have grown to love nature and photography,
There is no hiding the fact that I am a foodie.
Let’s get to the park snacks.
You know we were not just reading outside for hours without noshing!
Pick-Me-Up Trail Mix
I was not making trail mix on Mother’s Day.
I made this batch a few days ago, storing them in the pantry for a quick and nutritious snack.
The following recipe is for a large batch. It makes approximately 25, 1/2c servings.
The trail mix keeps well in sealed snack bags.
The pre-packaged artificial snacks may not look as appetizing when next to a colorful bag of sweet and salty trail mix ;)
The 6.2g of protein and 5.1g of fiber will keep you full while the sugar from the dried fruit will give you a quick pick-me-up.
- 2 c. raw sliced almonds
- 2 c. raw halved walnuts
- 2 c. raw pecans
- 1 c. chopped dates (I used sunmaid- already comes chopped)
- 1 c. dried blueberries
- 1 c. dried tart cherries
- 1 c. golden raisins
- 1 c. dried cranberries ( the organic whole died cranberries from TJ truely taste better than craisins because you really bite into them – their whole cranberries!)
- 12 oz dark chocolate chips or chunks (I use 1 bag of TJ’s semisweet chocolate chips)
- 1 c organic unsweetened flaked coconut ( I get the 3 and a 1/2 cup bag at whole foods for $1.99)
- Dash of salt (to desired taste)
Add in the nuts.
The best part.
Of course, I need a photo highlighting the addition of the dark chocolate.
Close-up. Nature’s gift.
Used a 1/2c to scoop into 25 snack bags.
Let out the air and close them up.
Grab & Go Snacks are all ready for whatever life brings!
Nutrition facts and all.
Turning your kitchen into a healthy convenience store?
I’m so proud.
It’s all about adding the products you enjoy together to create a quick, delicious snack. For tips on cutting costs and other products to add, refer to my post on healthy snacking on the go.
Any snacks that you can not live without?
With a week full of raesofsunshine, snack away!
Serving size: 1/2 cup
Total Fat 21.1g
Saturated Fat 4.4g
Total Carbohydrates 30.3g
Dietary Fiber 5.1g